Thursday, August 26, 2010

Banging Heads

Yesterday morning my nephew came over for his weekly play date. Tony is 3 and Gus is 4, "Gus, Tony's here" and with that Gus came running and Tony went running for him. BAM. Head to head, knocking them both over. I held my breathe, they looked at each other- rubbed their heads and burst out laughing. Whew, what a difference a couple of months make.
When my sister in law and I made the agreement to each have the boys a day a week it was a survival strategy. They are both the third kid, tough and rambunctious and exceedingly curious (read- destructive!). The first few dates were tenuous. A head banging incident such as this one would have meant yelling, blaming, tears, "your not my friend" and an hour or two of consoling.
So what happened? A relationship happened. Trust happened. Somehow these two boys have developed the ability to 'let things go'.
It reminds me of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul Story" about a man in an airport. His kids are running around and annoying the other passengers, after a long period of this the man apologizes to the writer with "I guess none of us know what to do since their mother died". WOW instant change of perspective.
Is it safe to assume that if you knew more about people you would be more forgiving?
Today I'm thinking that if Gus and Tony can do it, I can probably muster some 'overlooking'- Thanks Boys! Uh, oh - where are they now? gotta go...

No comments:

Post a Comment