Monday, May 3, 2010

Word of the Day: Surrender

Well, I was sneaking some moments before the kids got up this morning in my current read "In Search of the Miraculous: Healing into Consciousness" by Eliza Mada Dalian, and the chapter I'm on is on surrender.

The 4 year old was crazy so reading was not working, on to making cookies (surrendering to the madness), I turned on Oprah Radio to listen to while baking and the topic- surrender. Okay Universe, I hear you.

I am quite certain that surrender is a prerequisite for a happy life. The Serenity Prayer is one of my very favorites:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Surrendering those things that I cannot change though- whoa- there is a gap between knowing and doing!

I often think of the visual of 'who is driving the bus'. My intention is to allow Spirit, the Divine, God to drive. I mean, she can see more than I can, all knowing/all seeing/ all powerful. And yet time after time I find myself leaning over and wrenching the wheel away.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't see anything 'wrong' with me driving the bus, but I have come to accept that my vision is limited and my agenda is often skewed- so it can get a little bumpy!!!

How does this look in the 'real' world? I've been starting to worry about not selling enough tickets to the Tomas Event - Miracles of Trust - weekend. I hope you are laughing. Miracles of Trust...yeah.

So I start emailing, and thinking and ruminating and analyzing, bumpity bump bump.

Finally after the book, the radio and my own remembering kicking in I let it go. I surrender, I give it back to the Holy Spirit and get back to my own business- at this moment- making cookies.

mmmmmm....coookies. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment