Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Processed Fear Slices- yum, yum


I watched the movie "Click" the other night. It's a movie about a man (Adam Sandler) who gets a remote control for his life. He can pause, fast forward and rewind at will.

As you can imagine this leads to some problems, the biggest being that the remote control has a built in memory feature that automatically responds to previous input.

I was reading in Sandy Morris's A Courageous Living Heart E-course (yes- that is a plug- it is great) that our brains do something similar. In order to save us time, the example she used was not touching a hot stove, by thinking it through each time we have some automatic responses to certain stimulus.
'
For things like touching the stove- what I will call 'organic fear'- this is helpful. However, we have also stored a lot of 'not helpful', at times destructive, info. that begs to be examined.

Why? For the same reason that processed cheese slices are not as desirable as organic happy cow cheese. Processed, many preservatives added fears, such as fear of failure, fear of being successful, fear of public speaking- keep us from our Truth.

Created by someone who laughed at you in your formative years, a critical mother, your fourth grade teacher- whatever- these fears when looked at openly and honestly just don't hold true. The work of Byron Katie is great for this.

In my life looking at all of my fears, 'processed' and 'organic' is allowing me to experience more freedom, more peace and more joy- my ultimate goals.

Of course- not wanting to be mean to processed cheese I have to mention that I still love Cheesewhiz on celery, but I know what I am eating.

I don't want to promise that your fears will disappear with scrutiny- but I have found that mine are getting a more translucent quality- they are losing their power to affect my behavior. I may still have fears of speaking in groups- but I do it anyway when it feels like the right thing to do.

Now for some reason I am hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment