Saturday, February 26, 2011

Murderer or Miracle?

What do you see?

Yesterday one of my friends posted this story: http://tinyurl.com/6ae62yt

In a nutshell, a convicted sex offender who had just been diagnosed HIV took a 10 year old girl from a mall. He was stopped for speeding, given a ticket and drove away. From there on he could have done anything- he chose to drop her off.

This is a Miracle.

What I heard reported on the news was "Why didn't the police computer pick up on his history?". Straight to blame. A valid question- but one that I trust the police are already asking themselves. I want to know, what happened? Why did he let her go? I'm so grateful, grateful for a moment of sanity, grateful that she will sleep in her own bed tonight, grateful that her parents will have peace.

It made me think of the bible story of Daniel in the Lions den, because this is a bible story the focus is on Daniels faith- not on blaming the people who put him in there.

It made me wonder- how many miracles are we missing by focusing on the murderer?

In my own life I have experienced the miracle of surviving stage IV cancer and having a baby after being told that the chemotherapy would make this impossible.

I have spent the past several years training my mind, harnessing it's desire to see the scary and the bad. This article gives me hope that we can do this- instead of interrupting my peace of mind, making me scared for my children and for the world I was able to sense the humanity in this story and the goodness.

I've heard the argument that this kind of thinking ('bleeding heart liberals') could lead to complacency and chaos. I'm not at all suggesting that he should not be incarcerated, the problem with fear is that it offers three options: FIGHT, FLIGHT OR FREEZE. Compassion offers limitless options- offering ME peace and freedom.

Looking for miracles,
Fawna

No comments:

Post a Comment